Monday Morning
Good morning all another chilly start to the day but not freezing. I had a lovely day in the kitchen yesterday and after skinning I chopped the haddock up into jumbo fish finger sizes then egg and breadcrumbed and shallow fried them - they were delicious dunked into a homemade tartar sauce. For supper, as it was just James and I, we went halves on a large baked sweet potato. Neither of us like sweet potato so I scooped out the flesh and added spring onion and cheese to it before putting it back in the skins and covering with more cheese and flashing under the grill. There was enough cheese to cover the sweetness of the potato and a bit of green salad made it tolerable.
This morning my mind is blank I have no idea what we are going to have today. I have some braised daikon radish so I really need something to go with it. Perhaps some sticky chicken or better still crispy chicken if I can be bothered. Either way, I will have to go and have a look in the freezer for some inspiration.
I have found a very good site for recipes, hints and tips called https://www.thespruceeats.com it is a searchable site and has recipes from many different cuisines including my current favourite Japanese/Korean/Chinese.
I wracked off the kombucha and mixed it with pineapple so we will have to see how it turns out. This process also requires that I make more of the sweet tea starter so my 3-litre jar is on its 10 days of fermenting. I also made the tonic which I think will be very horrible but it might be full of good things and help ward off the winter nasties. When I was at boarding school we were given a spoonful of malt each day which was not too bad but then they discovered that it came with cod liver oil added and that was revolting but also compulsory. I don't know if it did us any good but it certainly burned a memory which is flooding back as I write. It was given to us at breakfast and it repeated for the whole day YUCK. I am surprised it didn't put me off fish for the rest of my life.
Tomorrow I am going to my lovely shop in Faversham and I hope to meet Sandy for a breakfast I need a trip as I am down to the last bag of coffee. It is a bit early for the Christmas shop but I can lay in some of the stuff that doesn't go off and I might put in an order with the butcher.
Well, that about it for today time to get going and brave the cold and go to the freezer. If I had any sense I would get stuff out in the evening so it would be defrosted by morning but that is just a bit too organised for me.
Comments
Post a Comment