Saturday morning
Good morning all a bit warmer this morning but the forecast keeps threatening us with all sorts of mayhem from storms to snow but as yet nothing interesting has happened.
Yesterday I finally made the trip to Woolwich and the oriental shop and wow what an assortment of stuff none of which I have the first idea about. Anyway, I have stocked up on things I do understand like soy sauce which costs the same for a litre as it does for a tiny bottle in the supermarket. As I have been looking at lots of Korean recipes there is one ingredient which seems to find its way into every dish and that is the red chilli paste. Well, now I have some so I can attempt some of the dishes. By the time we got back, it was lunch time so we sat and ate the char siu pork and a portion of kimchi which while spicy is not the blow your head off type spicy. I had ordered some meat from the alternative meat company and that had arrived so I had lots of putting away to do but in the box was a packet of biltong which we shared. So we had Chinese meat Korean vegetables and a South African snack. I was suddenly struck with just how lucky we are to live now when we can access so many ingredients for so many cuisines. Gone are the days of buying olive oil in the chemist. Supper was quintessentially English we had bacon, egg and the best black pudding I have found.
Today we are back on the oriental theme with pot sticker dumplings for lunch and for supper we will have some of the smoked mackerel pate I made and froze with lashings of toast. In my meat box, there were two goose breasts which I thought might make a nice Christmas lunch. I have no idea how to cook them but I thought I would go down the road of duck breast only cooked longer. I also bought some nice veal which is hard to come by these days. I thought I might buy a turkey for the new year by which time they will be giving them away.
Well that is the plan for today I have my kombucha to wrack off and add fruit to and this time it is going to be pineapple and we will see how that works out. I am still experimenting with flavours the last lot was strawberry. The only problem is that it takes 13 days to make 3 litres and I can drink a litre per day so the maths doesn't work out too well.
Have a lovely weekend whatever you have planned.
What a lovely flavoursome post today - I love how much delight you take in flavours and techniques.
ReplyDeletexx
It is a hobby really
DeleteYou're making my mouth water and I'm reading this whilst eating breakfast! So unusual to see veal mentioned in a good way in an English posting :-)
ReplyDeleteThe english still haven't got over the veal crate incident some 40 years ago. I am afraid I take some delight in telling vegetarians who drink milk exactly what happens to bull calves.
Delete