Thursday morning
Good morning all what a wet day we had yesterday but today it seems to be dry. Yesterday was a sort of lucky day for me, first of all, I got a lovely hardback book from my vegetable supplier completely free.
It is beautifully set out with instructions on how to store and prepare each vegetable followed by lots of recipes and hints as to what to serve them with and freezing instructions so very comprehensive. In this weeks box, there is a butternut squash and I have all but run out of ideas as to what to do with it but there is a recipe for having it roast and stuffed with a black bean chilli which appeals to me.
Then to my surprise, I found a wheelie bin parked outside the front door. It was brand new so I asked the passing bin men if it was a mistake but apparently not. They suggested that if I didn't want it to ring the council but actually I do want it as it fits in a gap in the garage and will allow me to store my black bags until bin day without the risk of them being attacked by rats and other vermin. I now have three one I store recycling in, one for rubbish bags and one for garden waste. So I am a happy bunny.
Today I need to have a trip to the shops as I need some minced beef to make meatballs with I have prepared all the additions so it will just be a case of adding the mince and forming it into shape. I think I will go down the American/Italian route and cook them in a tomato sauce and serve with pasta and a side salad. Talking of cooking I have found a really lovely Korean recipe site on Youtube and as luck would have it there is a recipe for true spinach, a large bag of which came in my vegetable box. I thought I might do it as a side dish to some of the Korean pancakes which we all love. I was looking at my stock cupboard and I really need a bit of reorganisation I need to devote an entire shelf to oriental ingredients which are currently spread far and wide which means searching all the time if they are all in one area it will make things much easier. I have already done this with the Indian spices so I can lay my hands on them quickly. It is handy to be able to ring the changes with our food and it gives me new areas of recipes to try. The only cuisine I am not keen on is middle eastern as that tends to have lots of sweet things in it. Reorganising will have the added benefit that I will also get the opportunity to clean out the cupboard in question and jettison some very out of date stuff.
Tubby had a bad day yesterday and refused to eat but he has just demolished the remainder of my Chinese take away which I had for supper last night. The potions are huge so there was plenty for him. I was wondering if he had drunk rather a lot of salt water when he went swimming and it upset his tummy. Anyway, he seems fine this morning.
Well, that is the plan for the day, time to get dressed and get to the shops then once that is done the day is my own. Have a good day all and enjoy the sunshine which we have at the moment!!!!
Well, that is the plan for the day, time to get dressed and get to the shops then once that is done the day is my own. Have a good day all and enjoy the sunshine which we have at the moment!!!!

That's a very lovely book and it should be so useful! I'm looking forward to reading about the recipes you try (and adapt) from it!
ReplyDeletexx
If you like soup, I have a recipe for one with butternut squash and coral (or red?) lentils - anyway you know, the orange-coloured ones - and coconut milk . Easy - all you have to do is fry off an onion in whatever kind of oil you like, then add pieces of squash, red lentils, a chicken stock cube, a little pepper, coriander and cumin, water to cover, and cook until tender. Then blend the whole lot, add the coconut milk, reheat and serve. This has been much appreciated here, especially now with the cold and wet weather we're having. Butternut squash is also nice roasted in duck fat (which seems to go with everything here!).
ReplyDelete