Saturday morning

Good morning all it has rained overnight but it is bright and sunny now.  James, of course, is on a different planet or should I say time zone so he slept most of yesterday and was up most of the night so it will take a couple of days for him to settle into the usual routine.  He is bundled up like Nanook of the north as it is pretty cold here compared to the 30+ degrees he has been used to.

After all my good intentions of doing the mackerel yesterday, I ended up making some sweet corn chowder and some courgette pancakes for supper.  I had bought two duck legs and put them in the pressure cooker and given them a swift boil so I had nice duck stock for the chowder.  I then put the legs in the oven to crisp up and we had them for lunch with some of the Vietnamese pancakes and some finely sliced vegetables and a Korean recipe for the bag of spinach which was languishing in the fridge.  So I guess the mackerel is for lunch today with a side salad.  I also had ideas of making some scotch eggs as I have all the ingredients.  Anyway, we will see what takes my fancy and how much cooking I feel like doing.  My fridge is a larder fridge with no freezer part so I never have ice when I need it and I have looked at ice makers but I don't use that much ice so I ordered some plastic ice cubes from Lakeland which I can take out of the freezer when I need them and then put them back to refreeze.   It seems like the best option!!!! 

I have some sprouts and can't make up my mind whether to prep and freeze them or to make a sausage, potato and sprout hash with them for supper [recipe in the new book].  So many decisions!!!!  Personally, I like bubble and squeak made with sprouts so it might be that with some sausages on the side.  I suppose this is one of the disadvantages of cooking there are always so many possibilities to chose from.

Well, whatever I am going to do I had better get on with it.  There is still a portion of chowder left I wonder if the fur babies would like it despite the vegetables?


Comments

  1. It all sounds so delicious. I find my mouth watering when you talk about the meals you make.
    I'd be interested in what you think of the plastic ice cubes - a clever idea.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we do have turkey at Christmas, the joy of sprouts for us as a family are the leftover sprouts and carrots on Boxing Day (we always cook more than we need). The sprouts will be quartered, carrots chopped smaller and halved cherry tomatoes, all mixed and served with a mayonnaise/yoghurt/chives based French dressing.

    Hopefully James will re-acclimatize fairly quickly, I think it is turning milder again towards the middle of next week. Last night was horrendous, the wind was howling like a banshee round the house.

    Would be interesting to hear about the plastic ice cubes, feel a bit weird about them I suppose they're filled with silicone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least they don't water down the drinks!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

Friday morning

Thursday morning