Monday morning

Good morning all it is another sort of nothing weather day a bit dull but nothing worthy of comment.  Yesterday we had a cold salmon supper with lots of salad and some saute potatoes, which was fine if a bit dull.  While I was doing that I had a  cheap chicken that Denzil got from work, poaching in a big pot.  I set the temperature at 80ºC and gave it 2.5 hours of cooking time.  Today I intend to strip the meat from the carcass and make a chicken and mushroom pie for lunch.  The dilemma is, do I make shortcrust pastry or am I lazy and do I use frozen puff pastry.  and now for a beautiful bit of rationalisation - frozen pastry doesn't last forever so I had better use the frozen puff - see how easily I absolve myself of the work!!!  I must admit that I don't really like using flour or icing sugar because I am messy and end up with lots of it scattered or on the floor.  The actual making is easy enough but I make a mess and as I also clear up I try to avoid it.  My kitchen is small so it messes up really quickly but equally, it also cleans up just as quickly.  Right, I have convinced myself frozen puff it is so I must shoot out to the freezer and get it out now so it has plenty of time to defrost.

Lilac up by the pond [poor photo straight into the rising sun]


Camellia outside the kitchen window



This plant I can't remember the name but we call it Tubbies ears as the leaves are so soft and silky just like the dog's ears.
Ok, the puff is defrosting and I have found the dried mushrooms which will add a little extra flavour.  

We are all hoping that Sandy is discharged from hospital today.  It has been over 5 weeks that she has been battling with this rotten virus and how the world has changed in that time.  I spent some time chatting online with various people and looking at the statistics we here in the midway towns are the second most infected place after London which is hardly surprising as many of the residents work in London and because of our history of very poor health care we have a large population with comorbidities.  There is some very interesting stuff online and youtube is very good if you need instructions on how to do something as well as lots of old British comedy sketches to watch.  

Ok that's about it for this morning I am off to the kitchen my coffee needs a refill and I will make a start on dismantling the chicken.  Have a good day and stay well.

Comments

  1. I think your excuse to use the frozen pastry is perfectly reasonable. Especially as there's a shortage of flour so you may need it for something else

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need no excuses. Frozen, every time.
    Your flowers are simply stunning. Thanks for sharing the photos - they really cheer one up.
    Splendid news about Sandy.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous lilac and camellia, Tubby's ears are a lovely shape.

    Puff every time, much nicer than shortcrust. Just heard on the radio this morning that Sussex got off relatively lightly with Covid19 so far, fingers and toes, paws and claws firmly crossed for that one! Just wish the weekend beach revellers would keep away.

    It's going to be tough keeping people away this weekend with VE day celebrations on Friday too. Apparently we are holding a street party, i.e. table and chairs in front between 4 and 6pm. Eat, drink and be merry but stick to your own property! Must try and dig out the bunting left over from the Queen's 50th Jubilee, hopefully it's still around somewhere, deeply hidden! I think we'll have tea and cream scones (jam first) but I'll give the fish paste sandwiches a miss! I'll be the old dear knitting!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

Friday morning

Thursday morning