Friday morning
Good morning all what a scorcher it was yesterday. Fortunately, I was up early and got all the jobs I needed to do done by 12 midday after which I collapsed and melted while I binge-watched Foyle's war. I was struck by how bad things were during the war for ordinary folks if we think a shortage of flour is a problem now we are kidding ourselves it could be so much worse. I would have done some knitting but my hands kept getting sticky which made it impossible and being so bored really made me think of smoking so it was a very hard day for me. For lunch, I made a broth soup with some pasta followed by the turkey meat with a tuna sauce. I know it sounds weird but it is rather nice and there was enough left to have with the tomato tarte tatin for supper. I have made tarts with fruit before but never tomatoes. Yes I know they are fruits but the garlic made it nice and savoury. The recipe I used advised draining off the excess juice which was a good idea and I then reduced it to a thick glaze. This is a keeper I think as I really enjoyed it.
I was awakened this morning by thunder and lightning and rain which is doing my watering for me and has brought the temperature right down to tolerable levels again. I love thunderstorms and can vividly remember the tropical storms we had in Africa which were really dramatic. The sky is now clearing and the rain has stopped I do hope the heat doesn't build up again. I have no idea what we are going to have for food today I have some mushrooms and bacon which I cooked yesterday and a small piece of puff pastry left so I am thinking along the lines of a tart or pie of some sort to have with a salad. As the puff is not really big enough to make a pie I might cheat and cook it separately and just plonk a piece on top of the filling which I can cook on the hob.
I have been feeling pretty exhausted of late and have put it down to age, the weather or anything else I can think of but apparently post COVID patients are suffering from similar exhaustion. I get up in the morning and I am already tired, not sleepy physically tired. If I could do exactly as I pleased I wouldn't get out of bed so it is probably just as well the boys are here and like me to cook for them as at the moment it is all that is keeping me going. I try not to read too much about the COVID thing as it is easy to persuade yourself into all sorts of things and hypochondria is something to be avoided. However, I am a little reassured as I seem to have gone downhill since being back home when I felt so well. Anyway, I guess it is just a case of weathering the storm and hoping things improve the more I know about it the more convinced I am that I have had this thing.
The people who crowded the beaches yesterday are idiots and there will be a price to pay for their stupidity the virus hasn't gone away and is re-emerging over Europe so the only thing to do is to stay away from people until we either have a vaccine or a cure. Please take care you really don't want to be infected.
Yes, a lot of Covid patients are taking a long time to get rid of the post-infection fatigue, which is very probably exacerbated by the slowdown imposed by the lockdown. I would be reasonably sure you feel a lot less tired when you can get out and do something you like, such as driving full speed down the motorway! Speaking of Covid, how is Sandie doing?
ReplyDeleteWe have the same irresponsible idiots in France, I can't see how we can possibly avoid a second wave of this thing with crowds gathering all over the place. But better not to get me started on that subject...
Have a good day and stay safe. xxx
I haven’t heard from Sandie in while. I have left it to her to make contact when she is ready. It is going to be a long haul for her as she was very ill.
DeleteI hope Sandie will be in touch soon.
ReplyDeleteNo dramatic storm here but pretty heavy rain for about an hour. It can only help. With all the doors and windows open of necessity here, I'm thankful it is warm and dry!!
xx