Monday Morning

Good morning all.  It was a lovely day yesterday weather-wise and I had a nice drive to Macnades, in fact, I had a smashing drive.  There was little traffic so I could drive hard and fast with the windows open and the stereo blasting.  The car will do 140 mph but I didn't go quite that mad but it was nice to blow away some of the cobwebs.   The shop was wonderful and fully stocked with everything your heart could desire so I had a lovely time buy all sorts of stuff including a few bits I needed for supper.  As I didn't have lunch as I was 24-hour fasting I had plenty of time to prepare ridiculous things to eat.  

Tomato surprise!

By the time I had skinned and hollowed out the tomatoes made the filling burnt and skinned a pepper and chopped chives in millimetre pieces then assemble the whole thing it took me quite a while and that was just the starter.  Not satisfied with that I then set to and pealed a dozen soft boiled quails eggs which today will be made into mini scotch eggs.  By the time 6pm arrived, I was ready for my supper and fortunately, the boys enjoyed the starter and the main course was not too shabby either we had the marinated lamb with wilted spinach and crushed new potatoes with butter and chives.  It would have been perfect but for one missing thing no sitting relaxing just leaping up and getting on with the washing up.  How to spoil a lovely meal!!!!  As far as the fast is concerned I suddenly realised that this is nothing new to me when I was working I never had breakfast and seldom if ever had lunch so I didn't eat until I got home in the evening.  The only time I did have lunch was if I was on a late shift and also on call overnight which sometimes meant I started work at 1pm and might not get home until 5pm the following day.  Operating theatres are not known for their food supplies we were provided with a loaf of bread and some butter if we were up all night. So it is really no wonder that I learned to live on coffee and cigarettes we all did.  Now that I think about it it was a very unhealthy lifestyle though at the time it was just normal.  The surgeons would break for lunch which gave us just enough time to clean down the theatres and prepare for the afternoon list but no time for lunch for us.  Anyway, it wasn't difficult to fast for 24 hours I did need to keep up my fluids and made sure I drank plenty.  

James has made a mousaka for lunch and I am now going to go and play with the quail's eggs that I so lovingly pealed yesterday.

Have a good day and enjoy the weather and whatever you have planned.

Comments

  1. All that food makes me feel hungry. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time yesterday, getting out and about in one of your favourite places.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's more like it! Isn't it amazing what a difference it makes just to do something that seemed part of the routine before?

    Your tomatoes look really delicious, but I am intrigued by the fact that the opening is underneath. How did you get the stuffing in and then turn them over without it all falling out?
    I see you went to the trouble of skinning them. Did you do that with a sharp knife or a tomato peeler? If you have the latter it can also be used quite effectively for skinning peppers if you want to eat them raw and crunchy, a lot less time and effort required than with the burning and skinning method.
    I have some hardboiled eggs to peel for this evening. Hopefully the shells will come quietly, which they frequently don't!

    Have a good day and don't go spoiling any other good meals by rushing off to do the dishes. Read a book or watch something on the TV and let someone else do that bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuffed tomatoes are done the right way up and only the very tops removed before you scoop out the seeds etc. Once filled and you need to pack the stuffing in tight you put the plate on top and turn the whole thing over. I skinned them in boiling water. If you want eggs that peel easily they need to be old and fresh ones for poaching.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

Friday morning

Thursday morning