Thursday morning
Good morning all well we got some rain but nowhere near enough there was just a little drizzle around 7pm but it is significantly cooler so it is not evaporating quite so fast. I was fascinated to read of how to prevent the water from evaporating off the surface in times of drought. My veg box comes with a letter which gives useful information and recipes for its contents but also news from the farms growing the crops and apparently you need to keep the surface layer of soil very loose which will reduce capillarity and thus keep the water in the ground, who knew?
I had a really bad day yesterday I seemed to be climbing a mountain and taking two steps forward and five back constantly on the verge of panic which is extremely tiring so finally at 9pm put myself to bed and gave up on the day. However, there was one bright note I have a hair appointment for mid-July by which time the hairdressers are hoping to be open. The boys run the clippers over their hair but, though it has crossed my mind, I have not been brave enough to chop my off I have just mangled it a little with the scissors.
The car is booked in for its MOT next Tuesday and I am anticipating a big bill for new tyres and I am also hoping to hear from a pond guy who is going to come and have a look at the pond and help me make a few decisions as to what to do with it. It is a big pond and I can no longer cope with the work it involves. Filling it in is not an option as it would take several lorry loads of soil to fill it. I just hope we can organise a more user-friendly filtration system and perhaps make it a little less dangerous with some steps to get out should a dog or child fall in. At the moment it is fenced off with trellis and a gate and fortunately, we don't have any small children around.
On the menu, today is navarin of lamb as I have some turnips to use up. They are not a vegetable that I like much so this seems a good way to get rid of them. There are hundreds of recipes online some with haricot beans some without but I believe that the turnips are compulsory. Hopefully, that will keep me out of mischief this morning. It is dull and overcast and a mere 11 degrees so pretty chilly a nice day for staying in the kitchen!
Have a good day whatever you have planned.
It really is chilly, isn't it? I'm thinking longingly of the central heating.
ReplyDeletexx
Yes, definitely turnips. The word "navarin" is derived from "navet", the French word for turnip. Apart from that, you can really use any vegetables you have to hand. I use turnips, carrots, onions, green beans, sometimes but not always a few potatoes, and occasionally a few peas if I have any.
ReplyDeleteBy now you have no doubt made it and eaten it, I hope you enjoyed it.
And I hope your mountain is lower today.
xxx