Monday morning
Good morning all what a miserable day it was yesterday it poured the whole day and blew a hooly. Tubby sat at the patio door on high alert as he was convinced that leaves blowing along the ground were rats and needed to be dealt with, which of course is his job and taken very seriously. There are of course rats about they say you are never more than 10 feet from a rat. On the odd occasion he has been right he follows their track as they disappear into one of the sheds or garage but he has yet to catch one. I don't put down poison as I am afraid the dogs might find it and eat it. They cause me no trouble so I just leave them alone all the time they stay in the garden.
I spent a good hour yesterday searching for my pie plate which seemed to have vanished. It shows how long it has been since I made a pie. In the end, I found it in the back of a little used cupboard which only reinforced the need to sort out the mess in the kitchen. I seem to have a multitude of jugs of varying sizes but actually, I only use three of them regularly. One is great for measuring, one which holds two litres so good for soup straining and my big three-litre jug which I use for kombucha. I could safely lose the rest of them so it looks like a charity shop run is in order. One of the problems is there are things which will go in the microwave and lots of stainless steel which will not then there are things which will go in the dishwasher and those that won't and still more things which I can use on the induction plate and those I have to use on the gas hob. Talking of things kitchen, Chrissie has bought herself a halogen oven and sent me a photo of her first roast chicken. I do hope she was pleased with it I love mine to pieces and use it all the time.
Joy, I see you are thinking of making sourdough again me too and I have found this on Youtube which might be of some help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAiDki7AQA&t=8s. This young man is a bit irritating but his recipes are good and easy to follow. He uses a fermentation station which I must admit I have thought about as it is so difficult to keep things at the right temperature in the UK and it is particularly important with sourdough. Bakeries have no problem as they are always warm but my kitchen cools down dramatically overnight oh if only I had an aga!!!!!
On that happy note it is time to get going so I will love you and leave you until tomorrow.
Thanks, Diane. I will look that up. :-)
ReplyDeleteJ x
In response to yesterday's post, I hadn't heard about the load of manure for Mr Macron (rather than Macaroon, which conjures up more pleasant things!), but there is indeed an air of general discontent as witnessed by the "Yellow jackets" movement which has been on the go for about 4 months now, with demonstrations every Saturday, unfortunately accompanied by increasing violence and vandalism, with consequent injuries and even a few deaths. They are complaining mainly about a loss of purchasing power, due to higher prices, more taxes and no increase in salaries or pensions, in fact many retired people are earning less due to increased "social contributions ". Unemployment is still high (not helped by the fact that in some cases you can earn more by staying at home and receiving benefits than doing an honest if uninteresting day's work, though don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is the only reason, far from it). Many farmers are no longer earning enough to live on, which probably explains the load of manure, it is not the first time manure or tons of fruit or gallons of milk have been dumped on the road. All due to decades of mismanagement in high places, which of course Mr "Macaroon" (how sweet!) or anyone else can not hope to fix in a few months, especially as everyone wants reforms, as long as they don't affect them. Whatever idea the politicians come up with, at least half of the population is against it. This is only a personal and no doubt politically incorrect opinion, and I am of course aware that there is widespread genuine distress. But I can't see how destroying other people's property is going to make it better. Anyway, rant over!
ReplyDeleteIt is very windy here too, and apparently the rain is not far away, but this is probably what we should be having in winter, and we surely shouldn't be complaining because things are normal for a change!
xxx
Again a personal opinion we seem to be in the same boat with similar problems and I think the referendum was the country’s way of dumping manure on our government who thought they were safe and would get the result they wanted. There is trouble in Italy as well and the Greeks don’t like what has been done to them by their leaders it seems the whole thing is crumbling. We have families who have jobs but have to rely on food banks to survive. And most of this mess dates back to the Americans subprime debacle which has left the whole world in a mess. It seem to me that it is about time the haves contributed more to the have nots. We are all on a knife edge to see if mrs May or May not. There was a documentary the other night which explained that the EU are in hock to the tune of 600 billion. If you or I ran our households like that we would be living in tents in fields. Anyway thanks for your opinion and clarification. If we end up crashing out with no deal we will all be in for some hard times I’m sure.
Delete