Sunday morning

Good morning all well it is for some of us but poor Joy lost her mother in the early hours and of all days it would be Mothering Sunday.  To lose your mother is always traumatic but it doesn't help to have a day that will always be prominent and is meant to be a time of celebration.  Time will ease the pain but never destroy the memories of happy times.  Joy is herself a mother so I hope her family will gather around her like a warm blanket and see her through these difficult days.  I lost my mother nearly 20 years ago but I often think of her and the good times we had together and often the silly things we did.  

So here is a silly memory that has come to me today:  As a rebellious teenager I said something cheeky to her while she was cooking and her response to me was "say that again and I will crack this egg on your head".  So I said it again and sure enough an egg was smashed on my head I then dared her to do it again and she didn't disappoint me the second egg landed firmly on my head.  That was the day I learned that her word was her bond; if she said something she meant it and she did not make idle threats.

There is no sun today and we have dark skies that look like rain which the garden really needs so I will not be unhappy if it pours.  There is good news on the rat front the bait has been taken so I am assuming that there is a dead rat somewhere in the shed, probably behind the washing machine which will be impossible to get to but at least the dogs won't be able to find it either.

Denzil has his long day today so I will be cooking dinner rather than lunch and I am intending to make a nice stew with boiled potatoes and courgettes.  Simple but tasty.  I do need to dash out to the shops for a few bits and pieces so I might stumble upon something interesting for lunch for James and I.  As you will gather my planning of food is very haphazard and I tend to go with whatever needs to be used up before it spoils which leads to some interesting combinations.

With any luck and a following wind, my coffee machine might be back in service tomorrow but I am not counting any chickens just yet.  Is that mixed metaphors or just garbled English?

Comments

  1. Thank you, Diane.
    I loved your memory. Your mum must have been a right character - just like you, I reckon!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes quite mad but in a pleasant sort of way!!!!

      Delete
  2. Mix away, it's perfectly clear! I always have a tinge of bittersweet approaching Mothering Sunday and the Swiss one in May as there is nothing to celebrate anymore so I decided to just celebrate their lovely memories.

    Finger and toes, paws and claws crossed for the coffee machine tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sincere condolences to Joy. I lost my mother many years ago, when she was much too young to go. It is a huge trauma, mothers are supposed to be there forever, and then one day we realise we are going to have to do without them. Time does eventually diminish the pain, but the memories remain. May they be some comfort in the difficult days ahead. I don't know you personally Joy, but I have come to like you over the years via your comments on the blog, always relevant and supportive. You have all my sympathy today.

    Diane: how come you are doing the work on Mother's Day? Or does the term Mothering Sunday as it is called in your part of the world actually mean you carry on mothering your children as usual? Only joking, have a good day whatever you are doing!
    Good luck for April Fool's Day tomorrow, I hope your supply of caffeine will be back to normal, and that you will finally be able to tell the Miele people exactly what you think of them. I would dearly love to be a fly on the wall when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marjorie, such very kind words. xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

Friday morning

Thursday morning