Saturday morning

Good morning all well I am back from my soggy freezing Suffolk break.  I don't think we could have chosen a worse few days if we had tried.  Good job we didn't go for the weather!  Fortunately, our accommodation was super and warm and cosy.  Here are a few photos so you can get the idea of where we were.  The veranda of the lodge was all but lost in the massive clematis growing up the front.

 I popped out in one brief burst of sunshine and took a few photos

This was the view that greeted us from the veranda where, being smokers, we spent quite a lot of time watching the geese making their way from the field to the pond on their daily circuit.


There used to be lots of geese but they are down to only ten now and in the background, you can see the barn where the caravans are stored.

The inside of the lodge is very comfortable with a sitting room, dining room and kitchen and then two bedrooms one with an en-suite and a double bed and one with two single beds and a nice bathroom.




It was just as well that we had such nice accommodation as we didn't spend too much time driving around in the rain though we did make a couple of forays out to Lowestoft and Bawdsey.  At Bawdsey there is a ferry to old Felixstowe which you summon by waving a white bat but as it was really choppy we decided against that. The real high light was the Pump Room bakery in Orford where we bought some croissants filled with ham and cheese which were to die for.  As expected the breakfast that Ann served up each morning was just about enough to keep us going all day.  Every morning was started off with some fruit like melon or grapefruit followed by cereals if you could manage them then came the hot stuff bacon sausage egg tomato mushrooms then copious toast and marmalade or honey and all washed down with a large pot of tea.  The marmalade was so nice I did enquire if it was homemade and Ann showed me into her larder where there were 200 jars of it ready for the season.  It took her two weeks to make and I am not surprised anyway I asked to buy a jar to take home and ended up with 4 jars and half a dozen of her fresh eggs from her hens.   They really were the most generous hosts.

We had one bit of drama one morning when the air ambulance landed in the next field and Ann explained what had happened as she is on the jungle grapevine for the village.  It was a tragic story of a family who had a 16-year-old daughter who had committed suicide two years earlier and that morning the ambulance was called as the mother had died of a heart attack despite being in training for the marathon.  So much tragedy for one family it quite upset me but it certainly put my ups and downs into perspective.

We had a lovely ride home as we were going against the traffic however we walked into what can only be described as a shit storm.  James had had a puncture and the locking wheel nuts caused no end of trouble and the shower is broken so he was looking for someone to murder and guess who fitted the bill?  Oh well, at least I had 4 days of peace and quiet which was very much needed.  

So today I have to reacquaint myself with the kitchen and I guess it will fall to me to get the shower sorted out Oh the joys of being a homeowner.

Comments

  1. You're back! Welcome home.
    I well remember those breakfasts - they were amazing and not for the faint hearted!
    Shame about the shower - I hope it's a simple problem, easily sorted.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to have you back. I'm glad you had a good rest in such comfortable surroundings, but what a shame about the weather. At least you had a break from the kitchen. The lodge looks lovely and the food sounds scrumptious.
    A pity things were not so good when you got back. What's wrong with the shower this time?
    I hope things will settle down soon and you will enjoy your return to cooking.
    Remi is still doing most of the work here, though my right hand is almost completely healed and I am becoming quite skilled at doing things with one hand, which is fortunate as I won't have the other one back in action for at least another 3 weeks..
    Well this is my second attempt at typing this comment, I must have touched the wrong key the first time and everything just disappeared (maybe I'm not so skilful after all!), so I will hurry up and get it published now before it disappears again.
    I hope you have a good day in spite of all the things that have been sent to try you.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjorie you really seem to have done a good job on your hands and as you say all for an empty tin what a pain. Of course there is nothing to be done about the shower today it is Saturday and they all turn into pumpkins at the weekend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

Friday morning

Thursday morning