Wednesday

 Good morning all, sorry for my absence.   I had a day in bed feeling very rough nothing in particular just everything in general.  Then I slept for 12 hours which is unheard of and now I feel ok I think I was just over-tired. I think it also fueled my anger, I have fished people out of crashed cars on the motorway on more than one occasion so I felt guilty and helpless not being able to do anything with what was happening on my doorstep. Fortunately, we have a disused airport runway which became a lorry park once the motorways were full. Ironically, that is were many of battle of Britain aircraft took off from and saved us from the Germans.

It looks like the Brexit is going ahead and in 5 years we will have our fishing waters back and hopefully an end to throwing dead fish back into the water assuming the Spanish trawlers have left us some.  Which may well be the only good thing to come out of the whole debacle.

There has been a big earthquake in Croatia just next to their nuclear power station and the shocks have been felt in Trieste with a 5.4 aftershock this morning.  Ain't life grand as if the pandemic were not enough!

The new year will be a non event in this house but I do have a goose in the freezer. James and I decided to make a risotto in the new thermomix. We both stood over it saying the rice will never be cooked in the allotted time but it was perfect the rice just right. Still with a little bite but no chalkiness and no standing and stirring for 20 minutes.

Today James has decided on a fish pie we have tons of red mullet and scallops which will be included so it should be very luxurious.  Denzil made super last night with brussel sprouts and chorizo a recipe put on line by Riverford who deliver my veg.

It is very cold this morning and we have been threatened with snow at some point.  I think if it does snow it will be the first time I will not be jumping in the car and put it through it's paces.  I have tried many times to make the thing skid and have failed.  I hasten to add that my experiments are done on the rugby field, not the roads.  I love snow but only the first day or so then it becomes a pain.

I have my new embroidery mounted and ready to start the same pattern but different colours.  As I expected the wings were difficult and I am not happy with the results I hope they might be better in a dark colour.  This has been quite a steep learning curve for me.

Well that's about it for this morning time for coffee and sadly no panetone as I have eaten it all.  Please stay safe and warm and let's hope for a better year to come.





Comments

  1. Glad to see you're feeling better, there's nothing like a good day's rest! You probably did too much work over Christmas.

    We got Christmas over nice and quietly, with a seafood orgy for just the two of us on Christmas Eve and a huge feast of stuffed capon and lots of other things with the neighbours for lunch the next day.

    Today I must remember to get my turkey out of the freezer, it is my turn to get some serious work done in the kitchen for New Year. The smallest turkey I could find is still a lot bigger than the ones I usually get, and with current restrictions I can't really invite the whole neighbourhood round to help us out, so it looks as if we will be eating turkey in various forms well into next year...Still, worse things have happened!

    We have not been blessed with snow so far, but we have been in the middle of a big storm for about a week, with gale force winds, thunder, lightning, hail and enough rain to float Noah's Ark. Perfect weather for staying curled up indoors, away from the virus and all the other nasty things going on out there.

    Try to stay cheerful in spite of it all, and enjoy your sous chef's cooking and your embroidery. I am off to try and finish a book so I can start another one. What a hard life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last Christmas my friend Margaret,who doesn't cook, was given a huge turkey on Christmas Eve and rang me in panic as she had no idea what to do with it so I loaded up my knives drove over to her house and dismantled it and bagged it in portion sizes for the freezer and I think they have been eating for a year! They probably never want to see turkey ever again. My payment was the carcass for stock.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

Friday morning

Thursday morning