Saturday morning
Good morning all. Sadly I read your good advice about a crustless pie after I had braced myself and made the pastry. However, I wasn't quick enough to get a photo of the pie before the mice got at it.
The tomatoes were made into a tomato sauce half of which I sent to the neighbour who gave me the tomatoes. Having discovered that the leaves of the tomato plant are not poisonous I added one leaf to the sauce for added flavour which made quite a difference. Especially as these were British tomatoes so largely skin, pips and water. So for lunch today we will be having that sauce with some chorizo bits and some pasta and probably a big salad to go with it.
I am intending a very lazy day today as I have the rugby to watch and foolishly I bought Bill Bryson's latest book 'The Body". I have already got stuck in and for me, it is rather like a refresher course but with a lot of the most up to date research. I feel it should be compulsory reading for everyone so that they have some idea of how the body functions and Bryson is so easy to read. The only problem is I have great difficulty in putting it down!!!!
It is very dull and to use a Scottish word dreek or is that dreak I have no idea how you spell it but it is a good adjective for just this sort of weather.
Ok time to watch England v Argentina wish us luck and let's hope we play well. Then it will be back to Bryson while the pasta boils.
I was actually quite proud of myself as the trimmings of the pastry were made into dog biscuits and the tiny knob that was left went out for the birds and the egg wash was microwaved into a dog omelette so absolutely zero waste.
The tomatoes were made into a tomato sauce half of which I sent to the neighbour who gave me the tomatoes. Having discovered that the leaves of the tomato plant are not poisonous I added one leaf to the sauce for added flavour which made quite a difference. Especially as these were British tomatoes so largely skin, pips and water. So for lunch today we will be having that sauce with some chorizo bits and some pasta and probably a big salad to go with it.
I am intending a very lazy day today as I have the rugby to watch and foolishly I bought Bill Bryson's latest book 'The Body". I have already got stuck in and for me, it is rather like a refresher course but with a lot of the most up to date research. I feel it should be compulsory reading for everyone so that they have some idea of how the body functions and Bryson is so easy to read. The only problem is I have great difficulty in putting it down!!!!
It is very dull and to use a Scottish word dreek or is that dreak I have no idea how you spell it but it is a good adjective for just this sort of weather.
Ok time to watch England v Argentina wish us luck and let's hope we play well. Then it will be back to Bryson while the pasta boils.


A dreich day is a term I use all the time too, it's just so perfectly descriptive. The dogs will be very happy with their pastry bones, did you fill them with something to make them even more 'doggy'?
ReplyDeleteThe pastry was suet crust so already beefy! and thanks for the correct spelling of dreich I use the term but have never written it before.
DeleteWell done England, very good for them but also beneficial for France, glad to see Argentina beaten again. As for Ireland our best case scenario is that Japan win all their matches (especially against Scotland), which they should in view of the current situation. Fingers crossed as usual!
ReplyDeleteThe cheese and onion pie looks delicious and the dogs are very happy, so it was obviously worth the effort.
I'm off now to watch the second half and make sure Japan wins again.
Have a lovely afternoon.
Great Japan won so we are all happy at the moment!
DeleteIt all looks delicious, even the dogs' share, lucky animals!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy Bryson's books and this one is on my list of Books To Buy at some point. I'm glad you think it is good.
xx
I didn't know Bill Bryson had a new book, I love his writing and it sounds like an interesting topic so thanks for the info!
ReplyDelete